A Senior Design/Development Engineer is required to be part of a multidisciplinary team of engineers operating within a new product development environment. As a design/ development engineer you will provide scientific and engineering support in specific areas of new product design and development, using your intellect, skill and knowledge to develop solutions to complex technical problems.
This challenging, cross-disciplinary role will require you to gain a good understanding of many complimentary areas: the science of metrology, optics, software and electronics.
Renishaw plc is a growing, dynamic company that invests heavily in R&D, manufacturing technology and maintains excellent career progression routes both in the UK and abroad. The Encoder Products Division (EPD) supplies precision measurement technology to aerospace, manufacturing, medical, consumer electronics, semiconductor, metrology and other high tech industries.
The role will be based at our New Mills site near Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire. Travel to other sights may also be required.
• Work in a dynamic team of specialist engineers to design innovative new products and the processes and equipment necessary to manufacture.
• Play a core role in the development and assembly of prototype systems by gaining a fundamental understanding of the elements critical to successful system design.
• Capture, analyse and document critical technical design requirements, whilst developing prototypes for test.
• Test new design ideas with a combination of simulation, mathematical modelling and experimental verification to predict performance and facilitate design optimisation.
• Degree in physics, electronic or mechanical engineering (minimum 2:1).
• Experience of systems involving electronics, optics and mechanical elements.
• Experience and/or interest in the science of metrology.
• Capable of producing high quality design documentation.
• An aptitude for problem solving and the ability to develop solutions for complex problems.
• Experience of precision devices.
• Valid UK driving licence.
• Competence in mathematical modelling.
• Enjoy a mixture of hands-on and theoretical tasks.
• Have a systematic and logical approach to investigations.
The successful applicant will be analytical, with the capacity to develop solutions from first principles. You will possess excellent attention to detail and be self-motivated to meet deadlines without sacrificing the quality of your work. A creative but methodical approach to development is essential, along with a flair for problem solving, a determination to understand new concepts, meticulous experimental technique and the ability to develop solutions for complex problems from first principles.
When you join Renishaw, you're committing to your future career. That's because we believe in developing our people's skills and promoting them internally. We also offer a benefits package that's highly desirable, including a 9% non-contributory pension, discretionary annual bonus and pay reviews, subsidised onsite restaurant, onsite gym, free parking and sports and leisure societies. Of course, we appreciate there’s more to work than the office, so we also offer 25 days holiday, Life Assurance and BUPA Renishaw Health Trust.