We are looking for a Senior Web Developer to join Renishaw’s in-house web development team working in an environment using Microsoft technologies. You will be part of a focused team responsible for maintaining and developing Renishaw’s corporate web presence, which includes the Renishaw.com site and multiple ancillary systems.
As a senior developer, you will be required to take responsibility for a number of applications from inception to release and maintenance, as well as mentoring junior colleagues and ensuring that best-practice methods are employed within the context of the software development process. You will have the ability to quickly learn new technologies, and possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Working in an Agile development environment alongside other development and testing resource, you will be creating new applications as well as being responsible for maintaining a number of existing platforms with a view to improving these and making use of the latest coding techniques.
In addition, a key aspect of the role is ensuring the availability of Renishaw’s key public-facing systems, as well as providing application support and training to a number of internal departments around Renishaw’s global business.
The role will require you to:
• Work in an agile, test-driven development environment using Visual Studio and Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS), leading the design of web and data applications, and providing experience and expertise to influence the design and architecture of Renishaw’s web presence
• Lead smaller teams of developers, planning work and running code reviews to improve code quality, implementation and delivery. In addition, you will act as a mentor to junior and apprentice developers, providing assistance and support to help develop skills across the team
• Work with sales and marketing teams around the business, contributing to discussions and gathering requirements for key projects
• Encourage use of best practice and design patterns when writing code, by actively seeking to improve code quality and aid knowledge sharing within the team. You will also write software technical specifications, ensuring applications are planned from inception to delivery
• Implement a test-driven development ethos, using unit tests and working alongside an independent test team to ensure delivery of robust and supportable applications
• Take ownership of large code bases to maintain and support existing applications, as well as improving them in future releases
• Promote high standards of documentation, both in writing code and documenting the support and use of a wide variety of systems. Ensure that software development processes are followed to audit standards
• Keep up to date with the latest technologies and methodologies, with a view to using them to add value to the business where applicable
• Contribute to the long-term strategic planning of projects to ensure expectations are managed and met for short and long term group aims
• Promote the highest standards of commercial ethics and awareness, taking responsibility for, and ensuring uptime of multiple business-critical applications, and fostering the team’s reputation within the business. You will be initiative-driven and able to generate new ideas to foster team development as a whole
Technical skills required
• Educated to at least degree level in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or similar relevant scientific discipline (minimum 2:1 grade) or the ability to demonstrate comparable applied knowledge and expertise to an equivalent level.
• Strong object-oriented software background in C#.
• Demonstrable, strong, data architecture skills including databases.
• Experience of working within a structured software development process, preferably Agile.
• Experience in working within a team and as an individual.
• A strong object-oriented software background in C#. Experience of designing and implementing data-driven APIs. Experienced user of Visual Studio and source control repositories. Experience of working within a software team
• Extensive C# and C# ASP.NET – demonstrable commercial use of C# .NET and ASP.NET MVC or Web API and Web Forms. Advanced knowledge of web services in both WCF and traditional SOAP models. Extensive knowledge of C# and .NET 4 in web application development, particularly in the areas of data management – SQL Server, XML, JSON. Implementation of windows services and data-layer applications to integrate and manipulate data between disparate systems
• Advanced SQL Server 2008 - 2016 – demonstrable and extensive commercial use of SQL server. You will have designed databases from the ground up and implemented structured n-tier architecture in conjunction with .NET APIs. Advanced use of T-SQL querying concepts, stored procedures in conjunction with .NET APIs, query design and optimisation
• Fully conversant with HTML/CSS – extensive commercial use of HTML and CSS2/3. Use of HTML5 concepts and responsive design across multiple platforms. Use of .LESS and CSS frameworks (e.g. Bootstrap or similar)
• IIS7+ – advanced setup, configuration and troubleshooting of IIS in a commercial server environment. Use of IIS application pools, setting up security, advanced use of hierarchical/inherited configuration concepts and redirects, setting up HTTPS security, configuring SSL certificates, tracing and performance improvement
• Application security - Best practice implementation of web security in applications and web services. Able to perform basic penetration testing and understanding of methods used to secure modern web applications, and actual experience of implementing such methods
• Managing Windows Server 2008 – 2016 – configuring web servers in a commercial environment. Familiarity of installing and configuring IIS, SQL server, configuring security, troubleshooting and investigating performance issues
While not essential, you will ideally have had exposure to the following technologies:
• Use and development of web content management systems
• Use of optimised search indexes (e.g. Lucene.NET)
• Understanding of issues around web content translation
• Exposure to Microsoft Azure platform
• Use of .NET 6
• Use of No-SQL databases
• Knowledge of SPA framework (Single page application)
• Experience in preparing High Level Design (HLD) and Low Level Design (LLD) documentation
As the successful candidate you will have a keen eye for detail, be a strong team player, but also able to work autonomously where appropriate. You will be able to show excellent leadership and communication skills both written and verbally and will be a good all round problem solver.
When you join Renishaw, you're committing to your future career. That's because we believe in developing our people's skills and promoting them internally. We also offer a benefits package that's highly desirable, including a 9% non-contributory pension, discretionary annual bonus and pay reviews, subsidised onsite restaurant, free parking and sports and leisure societies. Of course, we appreciate there’s more to work than the office, so we also offer 25 days holiday, Life Assurance and BUPA Renishaw Health Trust.