Renishaw’s Encoder Products Division (EPD) designs and supplies cutting-edge position feedback technology to the world’s precision measurement, automation, and manufacturing industries. It is highly likely that something you own contains a part or device that was manufactured with the help of one of Renishaw’s encoder products.
EPD is made up of engineers, scientists and technicians all working together to produce market leading products for sale around the world. We start with cutting edge optical, algorithm and circuit design, developing our own ASICs and sensors where required; we then use innovative mechanical engineering to turn our core technology into a range of desirable products for our broad customer base. One of the key challenges for EPD is matching the precision requirements of our build processes to the need to build repeatable quality products by the hundreds of thousands. To do this we work closely with the Manufacturing Services Division (MSD) to develop manufacturing and assembly processes and software that perform reliably and repeatedly to accuracies of a few microns. We are constantly looking to embrace innovations in the industry that give us increased quality, repeatability and traceability while reducing product cost.
We aim to do all of this while maintaining our excellent reputation for quality, delivery and customer service.
We are currently looking for a mechanical design engineer to join our New Product Development team. You will work as part of a focused, multi-disciplinary team to design, prototype, analyse and implement new products and processes, including precision automated assembly and test systems.
• Work in a multidisciplinary team of engineers designing innovative products and assembly processes
• Help develop understanding of new products through the prototyping and testing of designs and assembly systems
• Produce detailed drawings and concise documentation for assembly and test systems, ensuring they can be supported through the lifetime of the product
• An engineering degree, or further education qualification (such as an HND) and suitable industrial experience
• Experience using 3D CAD systems, especially Siemens NX
• The ability to produce technical drawings to a high standard
• Familiarity with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
• The ability to produce clear and concise reports
• An aptitude for problem solving
• Industrial experience is preferred
• Experience in designing electromechanical systems
• Experience with motion control systems
• An appreciation of metrology systems
We are committed to helping engineers develop their skills and knowledge in order to fulfil their potential, and provide opportunities for training and mentorship to support this. These include internally and externally run courses, covering a wide range of CAE and simulation tools, process improvement techniques such as Six Sigma, management skills and many other areas.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, capable of working independently and with a high level of detail, comfortable with communicating and explaining their designs both within the team and to stakeholders.
When you join Renishaw, we're committing to your future career. That's because we believe in developing our people's skills and promoting them internally. We also offer a benefits package that's highly desirable, including a 9% non-contributory pension, discretionary annual bonus and pay reviews, subsidised onsite restaurant, free parking and sports and leisure societies. Of course, we appreciate there’s more to work than the office, so we also offer 25 days holiday, Life Assurance and BUPA Renishaw Health Trust.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a face to face interview, which will comprise of technical and behavioural questions. This may include an informal problem-solving task(s). It is our obligation to safeguard applicants and our employees during the recruitment process. This applies to the conduct of the interview itself. All applicants will be asked at screening stage whether reasonable adjustments at interview stage are required to ensure appropriate measures are in place to facilitate an effective interview or assessment process.