Renishaw’s Laser & Calibration Products Division (LCPD) has a position for an all-round Electronics Design Engineer to join a multi-disciplined team in the Laser and Calibration Products Division working on a variety of Renishaw products including sensors, laser products and advanced process feedback controllers.
The primary focus of the role will be to design and develop new products, however support of the Current Products team will also be occasionally required. This will include design, prototyping, schematic capture, PCB design, hand assembly, testing & fault-finding as well as VHDL-based FPGA design.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to progress their electronics design skills whilst working in a dynamic and flexible multi-disciplinary team environment. There will be opportunities to be involved in research and development projects which will put the successful candidate at the forefront of new product design within Renishaw. Quality is paramount and the company investment reflects this.
• Develop new products, working with project managers and product managers to define agreed product specifications and deliver designs to meet those specifications
• Work with the Technical lead and other Senior functional leaders within a multi-disciplined team to optimise the integration of Electronic, Mechanical and Software components in all designs
• Take ownership of the delivery of Electronic designs that meet targets for product performance, quality, cost and timescale and which are suitable for transfer to production, considering design for assembly and test
•Work closely with production engineers to ensure new products are designed for manufacture
• Comply with the company’s new product introduction process, ensuring that the relevant Design processes are robust and cost-effective
• Work on multiple projects simultaneously and allocate time appropriately, in collaboration with the Project Manager and other Senior functional leaders, in order to meet deadlines for delivery
• Keep abreast of current technology and develop innovative processes and design solutions which can be patented by the company
• Degree in Electronic Engineering, Physics, or similar
• Ability to take designs from concept through to production
• Ability to produce concise, well-written documentation
•Experience of analogue and digital circuit design
•Experience of writing VHDL for FPGAs
•Good problem-solving and trouble-shooting skills
•Good communication skills
• A track record of design successes in a product design environment
• Capable of problem solving and determining root cause
• Practical prototyping skills to include soldering and use of instrumentation
• Awareness of the current national & international legislation and directives for compliance
Good Technical knowledge of:
• Transducers for displacement, pressure and temperature
• Low power techniques, including battery power supplies
• Low noise techniques
• Precision transducer signal conditioning and digitization
• Photodetectors and electronics for optical measurements
• Practical understanding of Electronic design including compliance with EMC and RF regulations
• SPICE, Matlab, Aldec ActiveHDL, Intel (Altera) Quartus
• Demonstrable skills and experience with Altium, Zuken CR or other ECAD system tools
• Some knowledge of C, Visual Basic, assembly language or other programming skills
•Familiarity with the electronics production process
The successful candidate will be able to work to deadlines, deliver projects to a high standard, and handle several projects simultaneously. They will bring a close attention to detail to their work. They will be enthusiastic and keen to learn any new skills which may be required. Clear thinking, good communication and team working are essential, as are fault finding and problem-solving skills.
When you join Renishaw, we're committing to your future career. That's because we believe in developing our people's skills and promoting them internally. We also offer a benefits package that's highly desirable, including a 9% non-contributory pension, discretionary annual bonus and pay reviews, subsidised onsite restaurant, free parking and on-site gym. Of course, we appreciate there’s more to work than the office, so we also offer 25 days holiday, Life Assurance and BUPA Renishaw Health Scheme.