Renishaw’s Encoder Products Division (EPD) designs and supplies cutting-edge position feedback technology to the world’s precision measurement, automation, and manufacturing industries. It is highly likely that something you own contains a part or device that was manufactured with the help of one of Renishaw’s encoder products.
EPD is made up of engineers, scientists and technicians all working together to produce market leading products for sale around the world. We start with cutting edge optical, algorithm and circuit design, developing our own ASICs and sensors where required; we then use innovative mechanical engineering to turn our core technology into a range of desirable products for our broad customer base. One of the key challenges for EPD is matching the precision requirements of our build processes to the need to build repeatable quality products by the hundreds of thousands. To do this we work closely with the Manufacturing Services Division (MSD) to develop manufacturing and assembly processes and software that perform reliably and repeatedly to accuracies of a few microns. We are constantly looking to embrace innovations in the industry that give us increased quality, repeatability and traceability while reducing product cost.
We aim to do all of this while maintaining our excellent reputation for quality, delivery and customer service.
A position has become available for an all-round Design Engineer with an Electronics focus to join a talented multi-disciplined team in the Encoder Products Division. The primary focus will be embedded Electronics and FPGA developments, there will also be a need to interact with other engineers, graduates and apprentices within the group.
The awareness of EDA tools and a knowledge of embedded systems is a requirement as is an awareness of the current national & international legislation and directives for compliance.
There will be opportunities to be involved in research and development projects which will put the successful candidate at the forefront of new product design within Renishaw. Quality is paramount and the company investment reflects this.
• Support the development of new products, with guidance from Senior team leaders, Project and Product Managers
• Work within a multi-disciplined team to assist with the optimisation and the interaction between Electronic, Mechanical and Software components in all designs
• We will also provide the opportunity to take ownership of the delivery of embedded systems that meet established metrics for product performance, quality, cost and timescale and which are suitable for transfer to production, considering design for assembly and test
• Understand and comply with the company’s new product introduction process, working with cross-functional teams to optimise the release of new designs to Production
• Comply with the Engineering Department procedures, ensuring that the relevant Design processes are robust and cost-effective
• Work on multiple projects simultaneously and allocate time appropriately, in collaboration with the Project Manager, in order to meet deadlines for delivery
• Keep abreast of current technology and develop innovative processes and design solutions which can be patented by the company
• Degree in Electronic Engineering, Physics, or similar
• Practical understanding in Electronic design including low power and EMC
• Knowledge and experience of safety and reliability standards including IEC61508
• FPGA and VHDL
• LT SPICE, Ansys, Matlab, Simulink, Aldec ActiveHDL, Intel (Altera) Quartus
• Demonstrable skills and experience with Altium, CR5000 or other ECAD system tools
• Practical understanding of microprocessors, software and signal processing techniques
• Some knowledge of C, Visual Basic, assembly language or other programming skills
The successful applicant will have an enquiring mind and be open to discussing new developments, provide support where necessary and be enthusiastic and knowledgeable in developing new products for this exciting area.
When you join Renishaw, we're committing to your future career. That's because we believe in developing our people's skills and promoting them internally. We also offer a benefits package that's highly desirable, including a 9% non-contributory pension, discretionary annual bonus and pay reviews, subsidised onsite restaurant, free parking and sports and leisure societies. Of course, we appreciate there’s more to work than the office, so we also offer 25 days holiday, Life Assurance and BUPA Renishaw Health Trust.