An opening has arisen in Renishaw’s Spectroscopy Products Division for a highly motivated individual to develop and maintain software that powers Raman instruments used worldwide by forensic scientists, biologists, gemmologists, and semiconductor researchers. Generally development work will cover both user applications and instrument control, and thus the post could suit a candidate with either a strong maths / physics / science background who wishes to write software, or a software engineer with an interest in scientific applications.
- Depending on the applicant’s skill sets and preferences, there is scope for work at varying levels in the software hierarchy, from the on-instrument firmware, through standard instrument control software written in C++ to UIs and processing tools in C#
- The majority of our code is developed in C# and C++ using Visual Studio and is archived in Git. New apps are developed in C#. We develop for the latest Windows OS (Windows 10). It is part of our customers’ expectations that our leading edge instrumentation is run from leading edge PCs and thus it is important for us to keep up to date with computer technology
- The team uses Agile methodologies, using continuous integration (short iterative development cycles, small teams, automated build and test) in an effort to dovetail long and short term customer requirements
- As well as writing and maintaining software, the chosen candidate can expect to become familiar with Raman spectroscopy and its applications
- Computer science / Engineering / Mathematics / Science degree
- C# and .NET or C & C++ (WIN32 and/or firmware)
- Strong analytical skills
- Windows software development using .NET and C#, ideally with knowledge of the COM Interop layer
- Full lifecycle software development from requirements capture to installation and maintenance
- Experience of Jenkins, Jira
- Use and development / support of COM / ActiveX objects
- Win32 API, ATL, WTL, MFC, COM, ActiveX, DirectX
- Knowledge of spectroscopy, spectral analysis, and signal & image processing
- Use and/or development of other data analysis and processing techniques
The applicant will have an existing interest in software and want to develop their career in software engineering. They should be motivated by the opportunity to apply state of the art software engineering techniques to the control and exploitation of leading-edge scientific instrumentation.
When you join Renishaw, we're committing to your future career. That's because we believe in developing our people's skills and promoting them internally. We also offer a benefits package that's highly desirable, including a 9% non-contributory pension, discretionary annual bonus and pay reviews, subsidised onsite restaurant, free parking and sports and leisure societies. Of course, we appreciate there’s more to work than the office, so we also offer 25 days holiday, Life Assurance and BUPA Renishaw Health Trust.